Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tears for Harley

Harley Lynn
February 9th 1999 ~ April 14th 2008


Yesterday was hard. So hard that I'm not sure that I'm ready to write about it. I'm going to try, but forgive me if it is a pathetic attempt.

I lost one of my beloved dogs yesterday. Harley hadn't had an easy time for about the past two years, but the light was still in her eyes. She was happy, and in spite of her health, seemed to enjoy our world.

Harley's weight had steadily increased, but we had not a clue why. She didn't over eat, and she had plenty of room for exercise. I thought she would start dropping the weight when we moved to the country.

Harley did become more active, but the weight didn't drop. At some point she threw her hip out of place while running. Medication treatment and it got better for a time, but her hips were never the same.

Harley's hair stopped growing, and she seemed to drink a LOT of water. Those symptoms along with the weight gain seemed to me to point to her thyroid. I had some blood work done on her and sure enough, she was hypothyroid. Started her on medication for that with high hopes.

She dropped weight quickly. This seemed to have no effect on her health, and just getting around was still hard. At times I would have to help her stand up. Other times, I would just look behind me and there she would be, struggling to follow us on our walks.

This past weekend she took a turn for the worse. We saw the light go out of her eyes, and it was obvious she was in pain. It was time to let her go.

My tears are for her. My love is for her, and I was blessed to have her in my life. She never gave up, and she always wanted to be with us.

Our black shadow, our little Har Har Harley Boo.

Dear God, please take care of her until we get there. Will you give her those snacks she loves and her favorite chewies. Just until I can do it myself. And please tell her that Rudy misses her. We all do.

Damon buried her underneath the oak tree out back...

Tears fall again...

10 comments:

blessedmom said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Harley. I know how it feels when your beloved pet who has become a big part of your life passes away. I experienced it myself and I felt really, really sad. You surely took very good care of him and loved him so dearly. I feel your pain. I do love your prayer for him. Take care, Tia.

Sweet Pea 48 said...

I am really sorry to hear about your dog. They are a member of the family and so when they leave, it is such a huge loss. I feel for you but I know Harley is smiling down on you.

Anonymous said...

Please don't let anyone belittle your feelings about losing a pet. It's true grief.

Jules said...

Oh bless your heart! I had tears in my eyes as I read your story about Harley.

I know it takes time to get past the grief but you will. It's so hard to say good bye to that little blessing from heaven.

Pets are truly extended family. I have no children and my pets are my children.

You sound like a wonderful mother and companion to your pets. God bless you in your sorrow~
Julie

Petula said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Harley. How sad. I hope you heal quickly and your tears will dry to be replaced by all the happy memories... I know it's hard - take care and cry when you need to.

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

*hugs*

I wish there was something any one of us could say to make the hurt go away, but there isn't unfortunately. Big hugs darling. Your beautiful dog is healthy now. Just think of it that way!

Mom said...

If tears could build a stairway
And memories a lane
I'd walk right up to heaven
And bring you back again

This is what we posted near the burial site of our dear beloved pets. My Gizmo passed away 3 and a half years ago and I still desperately miss him.

I'm sorry for your loss. I really do understand.

www.momstop.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know it can feel like losing a member of your family. I hope you and your family are doing okay.

Michelle said...

What a sweet but sad story. It made me cry. I'm sorry to hear about your sweet dog. I'm also a huge animal lover and have two dogs of my own. We also had a 125 pound German Shepard named Harley. We lost him in 2002 to bone cancer. Then we lost my Keesh hound named Whylie in 2005. I miss them so much and my heart aches when I think of them. I totally know how you feel. They are your best friends and family for life.

TroubleX2 said...

Thanks so much for all the wonderful words. I miss her so very much. I know it will get better with time, but it hurts. Life is bitter sweet....