Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mrs. Killdeer


Meet Mrs Killdeer. She is steadily bitching at me for taking her picture. Actually I got too close to her nest. She's very protective, and she was quite willing to try and whoop my butt. Ha ha! She is nesting on our driveway. The eggs are really hard to spot because they blend in with the rocks.

Mrs. Killdeer cracks me up because she deserves an Oscar for her performances. The broken wing act is the absolute best, and I swear she channels Katherine Hepburn. Such spirit and courage. Not afraid of me at all and definitely willing to face me head-on. I got close enough to take this picture, but she stayed right there. Griping the whole time and showing me her tail feathers. She was not going to leave those eggs no matter what.
We are very careful when coming and going. I can't wait to see these hatch, and I hope that we see the Killdeers nesting here for many years to come. Matter of fact, we may just add their name to the mailbox, so they can get junk mail, too!

7 comments:

Sweet Pea 48 said...

I love having killdeer too. We have a few hanging out in our pasture.

Lilly said...

That is really funny. Mrs Killdeer channeling Katharine Hepburn. The eggs are really interesting too. Made me smile.

Petula said...

She's so pretty. I can't wait to see pics of the babies.

BTW: Come by and enter my contest, when you get the chance! I'm so excited about it... good luck!

blessedmom said...

Wow! I'm excited to see the babies too! Hope you can get a picture of the eggs hatching or opening up while the babies try to get out. :) Thanks for sharing nice pictures. Have a blessed day! :)

Anonymous said...

Those are great pictures. The eggs do blend in with the rocks.
Mrs. Killdeer looks like she will be a great Mother.
Can't wait to see the babies. That is if Mrs. Killdeer will let you get that close once they hatch.

TroubleX2 said...

I can't wait to see the babies either. I hope she will let me get close enough to get pictures. I looked up some pics of the little ones on the internet, and they are so cute. Seeing them with my very own eyes, up close and personal will be awesome. Maybe Mrs Killdeer won't kill me...after all I'm not a deer. Hhhmmm....

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Fantastic!! I've never seen this type of bird or its eggs. Absolutely beautiful!